Monday, September 17, 2007

Because My Dog is More Popular Than I Am...


Yesterday was a beautiful day. After a quick descent into autumn, it soared up into the 70s on Sunday. Even though after church we just had to take our naps, we couldn't let the day pass without getting ourselves and yes, Scout, out into it. She is feeling better lately, although I still have to give her the full course of the antiobiotic. We should be done in a couple of days. I am also gradually transitioning her to another food, a kind of half-homemade, half-prepared brand called Sojourner Farms. She was doing all right on the semi-raw diet, except that 1) it's kind of icky, and 2) I was concerned about whether she was getting all the right nutrients. I did like that I didn't have to deal with so many additives. The vet shared my concern about that and thought we should try more red meat with Scout. "She seems like she might be a red meat kind of dog," he said. Also, he said she should be getting more exercise.

So ... we live for our dog, you know. (Well, at least I do.) And Sunday was an opportunity that could not be passed up. So after the mandatory naps (which left me a little groggy, I'll admit) we packed up the dog and headed up to Lake of the Isles, where there is a great little dog park and walking paths.

We were waylaid at first, because my husband wanted to get a cigar, and then he kept thinking we were going to Another Lake, The Lake Where He Always Smokes A Cigar. So we drove around in circles for awhile, until we got to the right place, to the dog park where Scout used to go almost every day. She hasn't been for over a year.


The woman with the smart, frisbee-obsessed Border Collie recognized us right away, even after all this time. "Nobody came in the morning any more," I explained, my excuse for not showing up. We really went to play with other dogs and owners. There's no point in coming if we're the only ones.

In the meantime, after some initial sniffing, Scout starting making up to other dogs and people and pretty much ignoring us, as was her habit always at the park. She's fun to watch, as she solicits pets from most of the people, and checks out which might be the most fun dogs to play with. But she has an issue with coming when called, another reason, now I remember, why we stopped coming to the park. She had a brief interlude of fantastic obedience, during a time when she got ALL of her food by hand. She got NOTHING unless she obeyed. And, as the food-obsessed dog she is, she obeyed.

We have both backslid since then.

A few people asked what was wrong with her side. "Hot spot," I said. Pretty much everyone knows what that means. People always ask what kind of dog she is. "Golden retriever, Husky, probably shepherd," is the standard reply. Many people comment on how friendly she is. She is always smiling. She has no self-esteem problems.

After the park, we took a walk around the Lake, meeting more people and a few more dogs, including a 9 week old puppy. Husband said to me, "Do you know those people?" "No," I replied. "They just have dogs."

After we came home, we decided to keep being social butterflies. We went out to eat at a place we have never been before, Broder's Pasta Bar. It's not too far, and turned out to be a fun place. I even had a glass of wine.

And then, I got a call from RevDrKate, in anticipation of our RevGal brunch meet-up, which took place today. More on that later.

Next morning, I let Scout run in the yard, part of the "more exercise" orders from the vet. She promptly picked up a tomato (I know, it's too late for them) and ran around the yard with it, playing keep away until I came back with breakfast. That Scout! She's "high maintenance."

But I love her.

15 comments:

David said...

Sounds like a great day for all of you...especially Scout!

Law+Gospel said...

As someone who needs to try and restore the fun side of life while adjusting the seminary load of work, I sure had a smile on my face when I read this. It just might inspire me to take Buddy out ( but he LOVES to nap in the sun on nice fall days). Sounds like you guys had a great day!

Fran said...

Scout is back! Yay. I am glad to hear that Scout is on the mend and good luck with the new eats.

That is a great account of your day. We were apple pickin' over here in NY.

Thanks for sharing all of this.

And your rev brunch. I must know more. As a Catholic, well you know how it goes. I'm a tad jealous.

Terri said...

I understand....My Ruby, the Viszla, is a high maintenance dog. By this I mean, if she does not get her exercise every day she gets nutty. Her exercise means a 40 minute walk or run...and if she gets that, well then, I can live with her.

My other dog, Roxie, "seems" content to lay around...but if she lays around too long she begins to lick and lick and lick and lick ad naseum...

So. yesterday I skipped my nap in order to take some things out to the barn for my daughter (stuff she needed for her horses) and we also took our dogs who got a good run in the paddock...but me, no nap...sigh. Anyway, a big hoorah for dog parks and walking dogs....

Terri said...

Oh, but in terms of "popularity' I think you, diane, take the cake in the blog sphere, even if sweet Scout gets it at dog park...

Marsha said...

Ginger would love to play with Scout... and how I wish we had a dog park here that I could take her to.

Diane M. Roth said...

Marsha, I'd love it if Scout and Ginger could play!

St. Casserole said...

Charming dog! Our dog carried an apple around the backyard this morning? Why? Can't say, don't even know how he got the apple...

I love the idea of driving until you find the cigar smoking lake.

Katherine E. said...

I'm not a big pet person, but you know, I really love it when you write about Scout. Your title had me smiling to begin with...and the smile stayed with me throughout your post, Diane.

Looking forward to hearing about the meetup with revdrkate! I'm sure it was fun...

DogBlogger said...

:-)

I think God picked us to take care of high-maintenance dogs because God knew we could love them through it.

Barbara B. said...

If I went to Broder's I would order the Pizza Rossa -- it looks delightful! :)

Lori said...

So glad Scout is better! What a joy. Definitely the "It" dog at the park.

Just one question: what's with that one collar that's gold and glowing?

Lindy said...

Scout is adorable in this picture! And she has a super guardian. What a lucky dog!

Don't worry about your popularity Diane. My dog is more popular than me too.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear Scout is better. And I know what you mean about your life revolving around her--ours is the same way.

zorra said...

So much fun! Amie is not that interested in socializing with other dogs--she tends to ignore them--so I've never tried to take her to the dog park. I think she's an introvert like her daddy and me. She absolutely adores and has to have her evening walk with just us. Glad you and Scout are having such fun together these days.