Saturday, October 24, 2009

Late on a Saturday Night...

The wedding went well, I think.
I saw the bride's mother give me "two thumbs up."
I am looking forward to a baptism tomorrow, on Reformation Sunday.
The truth will set me free.
The truth will set that little baby free, too.
And the baby doesn't have to do anything but show up, show up.
And someone is bringing the baby.
The truth will set me free.

My beautiful retractible fountain pen has a crack in it.
My computer still suddenly loses power on occasion.
Most, but not all, of the dishes in the sink, are washed.
Most, but not all.
Things fall apart.
The center cannot hold.
I keep trying, but I keep falling short.
Two people waited for me at a meeting I thought I cancelled.
Sometimes I say the wrong thing.

At the end of the movie "The Purple Rose of Cairo"
(which we watched last night)
Mia Farrow finds out that in real life
things do not work out in the end,
and perhaps she should have stuck with the one
who was "too good to be true."

Late on a Saturday night
I'm looking for a two thumbs up
and looking forward to a baptism,
and still believing in something
too good to be true
that God fixes the cracks
renews creation
raises the dead
and all we have to do is show up, show up
the wings of a dove carrying us

And the truth will set me free.

Happy Reformation Sunday

7 comments:

Fran said...

Blessings to you Diane, blessings.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

"and still believing in something
too good to be true
God fixes the cracks
renews creation
raises the dead
and all we have to do is show up, show up
the wings of a dove carrying us"

Yes. Me too, . . . or at least trying.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Poem yes.

Terri said...

Oh Diane....I really wish for a God that fixes things...can't say I have many real life examples of that though. Just, perhaps, a God who works through us in an effort to bring forth what God desires...and, we, well, we are so not perfect. And, even that is ok.

love to you. hugs too...

Barbara B. said...

Yep, that's poetry. Two thumbs up!

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

Beautiful, inspirational - thanks.

Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

oh diane!