Saturday, June 20, 2009

Friday Five: Life is a Verb


Digh, Patti. Life is a Verb: 37 Days to Wake Up, Be Mindful,and Live Intentionally. Guilford, CT: Skirt!, 2008.

Jan writes:
Jennifer recommended this book, which I got because I always value Jennifer's reading suggestions. The author of Life is a Verb, Patti Digh worked her book around these topics concerning life as a verb:
Say yes.
Be generous.
Speak up.
Love more.
Trust yourself.
Slow down.

As I read and pondered about living more intentionally, I also have wondered what this Friday Five should be. This book has been the jumping off point for this Friday.

1. What awakens you to the present moment?
Little kids. I've been spending some time in the pre-school Vacation Bible School class this week. Yesterday one of the younger three-year-old did not feel well, so he laid his head on a pillow on the floor. For a minute, I just laid down next to him. That was the present moment, just then.

2. What are 5 things you see out your window right now?
Neighbors working on their roof (I actually hear the pounding, but just see feet and something unfolding, the huge trees that line our block, blue sky, geraniums, grass laden with heavy dew. Also, I can hear the birds singing. But I can't see them.

3. Which verbs describe your experience of God?

Live, Give, Stoop, Open,

4. From the book on p. 197:Who were you when you were 13? Where did that kid go?
I was shy, painfully insecure, and was writing terrible, introspective poetry. I thought I was fat, and ugly, and that no boy would ever like me. Other kids in my school also seemed to have more money than we did for store-bought clothes and vacations.
The kid has gained some self-confidence, is not quite so shy, but still has insecurities far in the background. She still writes, but hasn't written poetry (bad or otherwise) for a long time.

5. From the book on p. 88: If your work were the answer to a question, what would the question be?
Where is God in your life?


Gotta get this book!

6 comments:

Jan said...

What a good question! So many 13 year old girls felt like you--me, too, of course. I like the idea of God "stooping." Thanks, Diane.

Rev SS said...

nice play ... and do you mean that some 1 year old girls didn't feel like that?

Rachel said...

Love this post, and reminds me I have to pick up this book too.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

IE 8 kept locking me out of your blog. Safari is working so far.

I really love the verbs you gave in #3...powerful images.

Diane M. Roth said...

I wonder why IE 8 is doing that? I suspect that more than one person is having this problem.

I don't know what to do about it.

Barbara B. said...

Love your answer to #1. :)