Wednesday, December 5, 2007

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

So the other day Husband and I were doing a little Christmas shopping at a local upscale variety store. They are usually a little out of our price range, but they have wonderful cards and stationery, as well as women's clothes, earrings, toys and books, kitchen accessories and decorative objects (did I miss anything?) And, sadly, we needed to get a sympathy card and two get well cards.

They also sell a large variety of Christmas decorations and ornaments.

And, while we were browsing, we both spied this item:


So, what do you think? I always thought that "Advent" referred to the season of preparing for the coming of Christ. And, nice as Olive seems to be (she is a dog, after all), I just have a funny feeling that this Advent calendar doesn't have anything to do with Jesus.

By the way, if you would like to order one of these calendars, you may do so here

9 comments:

Fran said...

OMG! I totally totally totally love LOVE love - did I say LOVE - Olive.

Holy moly, I need to get me some of that.

(After all, Santa did say "all of" the other reindeer and she did not really comprehend that whole dog thing.)

You made my day sister.

Fran said...

Don't think me a heathen - you know how I feel on that topic, but there is no reason that Olive can't be side by side with our more spiritually oriented calendar!

We are just Olive mad in this house.

Diane M. Roth said...

Fran, I don't think you a heathen... I for example love the Rudolph special...
just thought the pairing of Olive and Advent was odd.
but, apparently not.

Law+Gospel said...

Diane, as charming as the notion of being "the other" is, and Olive is cute, I am with you that it is a little odd. But then again, on my blog I talk about St Nicholas, whom we have idealized, and yet some of the legend is pretty "other" in a different way- Olive is at least heartwarming. BTW I love the Rudolph special.

Diane M. Roth said...

especially I resonate with the "Island of misfit toys."

Gannet Girl said...

Well, for Scout Olive just might resonate.

Unknown said...

Does this one have chocolate?

Diane M. Roth said...

Don't know, wyldth1ng... haven't bought it yet...
but it's a POP UP calendar, which is one point in its favor

Fran said...

This is an interesting intersection in which we have Christmas and Christmas.

One street runs one way- spiritual and that is a street that I am on a lot.

The other runs - secular? Commercial? Like that and I spend less time there, but for good or ill it is not a place unfamiliar to me!

Olive is on that street!