Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Grace


There are many deep and complicated things weighing on my mind right now -- things I believe I have responsibility to think about and comment on and perhaps even, in some way, take action on. But right now, before I think about any of those things, I want to meditate on a moment of grace I experienced today.

Our 7th grade confirmation class is unusually small this year. I had a group of 6 girls for the past three years. They were serious and questioning Christians (not because of me: they all have good parents), and it was a pleasure knowing them. Last May they were confirmed.

This year there are just two in my small group. (I do teach large group classes as well; these are the ones I have been chosen to mentor.) So, we have been thinking that is just too small and that they would enjoy it more if we put them in with another group of four girls.

Tonight, I substituted for a mentor who was sick. And the other mentor, who had my two girls for the first time, floated to them the idea that they might permanently stay with her group.

They want to stay with me.

They like our little group.

That's all I can say about it. Really, I'm practically speechless.

Except to say, that I feel a little bit like the 13 year old who has just been allowed to sit with the cool girls.

12 comments:

more cows than people said...

sweet! that's great, diane.

i look forward to all the posts to come, too.

thanks for sharing the grace.

Lori said...

What a sweet and uplifting moment for you.

(re: the pics, did you save them in jpg or the other formats compatible with blogspot? If yes, maybe the file size is too big?)

Lindy said...

Well of curse you're sitting with the cool girls.

That's a great story, and I clicked over to the piece you wrote in May too. Your love of Lutheranism is evident. I could just imagine you there in your white boots. It's great that you can be part of passing on such a great tradition and one that you really love.

You have such a weight on your mind. If it's OK, I can pray for you on that. But, you know that you are brilliant, and you think creatively, and in good time all will be clear. I know it.

Lindy

PS - Try saving your photo as something else. It all seems like voo-doo to me.

Diane M. Roth said...

pg -- we just scanned them (the pics and this "art" too)...so maybe the file size is too big. don't know much about it. obviously.

David said...

Blogger isn't too friendlt to bmp pics. Is that the format you scanned them in?

Marsha said...

Diane, looking at the source code for your page, the graphic is in bmp (bitmap) format. It is best in jpg, gif or png format. You may just want to rescan as a jpg or convert your existing image to jpg format and upload the image again. You may have to redo the entire post as blogger sometimes has trouble if you do any type of image change in a post. Email me if you need more help and I will do what I can to help.

kim-d said...

I don't know a thing about how to deal with your graphics. But I do know that I'm not at all surprised about your confirmation girls. That's the way that I feel about the Bible Study you lead; I love it. However, I probably need to make an appointment to come and talk to you about some things. That's a whole different thing. So, back on the subject...

Know this right now. I don't know about the past, but right now you ARE a cool girl :)!!

kim-d said...

You're welcome...and I meant every word.

Are you in your office now? I have the church office programmed into my phone, I could call that number to schedule a time with you, perhaps?

Diane M. Roth said...

yes, I'm in...

June Butler said...

Kim-d took the words out of my mouth, Diane. You've long been one of the cool girls.

Unknown said...

You should be honored. You must be awesome!

(I am sure by now you've gotten the advice you needed for the picture, so I won't bother.)

RevDrKate said...

Hey cool pastor, what a neat thing! Sweet, as they say! I played the meme, come and see.