Saturday, January 10, 2009

Things I'm Thinking About....

  • It has become clear during the last few days that we've been here that I have gained back all of the 20+ pounds that I lost two years ago. Needless to say, I am disappointed in myself, and thinking about what I can do differently in order to increase my fitness again. I'm also thinking that blogging might have had something to do with it (if anyone here has figured out a way to exercise and blog, please raise your hand).
  • On the other hand, I feel that I have begun a very good reading discipline in the week we have been here. I'm already on my 5th book for January (more on that later), and hope that I can discipline myself to read 50 books in 2009.
  • We leave early Monday morning. On the one hand, it's been too short. I need a vacation. On the other hand, I feel that I will be behind before we land.
  • I'm trying really hard not to make lists of things to do -- at least on paper -- while I'm here.
  • I think I've stopped dreaming "church dreams" -- just in time.
  • We spent the afternoon knocking around in the desert east of Florence, Arizona this afternoon. It's barren, wild, beautiful and empty -- all at the same time.
  • A former pastor of mine, Sharon Betcher, wrote a book recently. It was reviewed in Christian Century. I'm thinking about this for several reasons. Pastor Betcher is probably one of the reasons I became a pastor; she started me thinking about many things in different ways. However, I think it is safe to say that our pastoral styles are very different. Just the fact that she wrote a book is intriguing to me. I almost bought it before we left on vacation. When I get back, the book goes on my reading list.
  • I realized today, spending the afternoon with my sister, how much I miss her, since she lives several states away and has a very busy life.
  • I wonder what the title of my first book should be?
  • coming soon: look for "blogger meet up", desert pictures, etc.

13 comments:

Rev SS said...

I want to hear the answer to exercising while blogging too, please!

Lindy said...

WHAT! I don't want to start anything controversial here or get into any kind of big debate -- I'm a lover, not a fighter -- But are you saying that blogging is not exercise? Because if that kind of thing is true then I have to re-think my work-out plan.

Unknown said...

Lindy, ha!
Diane, I often ask that book question myself.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

safe travels on your return trip... may you be refreshed & renewed!

Terri said...

I totally hear you on the weight gain and blogging connection...my fingers are in excellent shape!

Safe travels home.

Pastor Eric said...

I want to "second" your thought about not making to-do lists while your on vacation...otherwise are you really on vacation?

Enjoy.

Fran said...

Exercise and blogging. My fingers have never been more fit.

My rear however... never been more, um - not fit!

Diane, I can only say I hear something in your self disappointment. Please try to love and forgive yourself as freely as you would others. We are all - deep sigh - human.

Glad you are off to a good reading start! Now that school has started pleasure reading is off the list.

Speaking of which, I am off to read about ministry!!

Diane M. Roth said...

Fran, perhaps, but I have to say I was so proud of myself when I LOST the weight. I'm not even sure I want to get back down where I was ... just don't want to go any higher. And I'm pretty clear that I'm not seeking perfection, either...just a manageable level of fitness, that will give me energy.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I totally relate to the feeling that a week of vacation isn't long enough. But sometimes we have to do with what we have.

Jan said...

So glad you've had this week. Realizing you miss your sister is a good realization. Love is to be appreciated. Exercise and blogging are a paradox--a task for non-dualistic thinking! However, I seem to be compartmentalizing and need to exercise. . . .but I'm blogging. . . .and/or--yes/no??

Diane M. Roth said...

yes, Ruth, life is the art of making do with what we've been given, isn't it?

Katherine E. said...

Diane, I just saw your "welcome" on CCBlogs. Congrats! richly deserved!

Scott said...

Congrats to you on the reading - that's mental exercise! Seriously, I know plenty of physically fit people who could use a mental jog or eight...

Is it me, or are a lot of us weighing a bit more than is comfortable? Is all the uncertainty that surrounds us is driving a return to comfort food or something like it? (He said as he contemplated the pork roast cooking in the crock pot back home.) :-)