Thursday, January 15, 2009

Two books I probably will not read this year....

I Can Make You Thin, by Paul McKenna.

Subtitle: "You can make me rich."

Sorry if I am skeptical. No, actually, I'm not sorry to be skeptical. Here's my book on dieting: Eat Less. Exercise more. Do not snack between meals. Have fewer pieces of chocolate cake. The End.

Rich Like Them, by Ryan D'Agostino.
Where to start? First of all, I can't believe the audacity of a title that obliquely refers to the 1960s classic Black Like Me, about a man who actually discovered what it felt like to be black. The idea of this book, it seems, is that the author knocked on the doors of the super-rich, with their huge houses, their incredible lifestyles, their unbelievable vacations. He discovered, not surprisingly, that "the rich are different than you and me."

Personally, I suspect that this quote attributed to Ernest Hemingway is accurate: "They have more money." I suspect that there are interesting rich people, boring rich people, hard-working rich people, lazy rich people, just like in every class of person there is.

Finally, I wonder what Tom Petters and Bernard Madoff would have said if the author had knocked on their doors?

What about you? What books are you probably NOT reading this year?

9 comments:

Auntie Knickers said...

I'll have to think about that, but your two are a great start -- made me laugh out loud especially the first one and your "subtitle."

Jennifer said...

I'm not reading "Guilty: Liberal 'Victims' and Their Assault on America" by Ann Coulter. I'm not a fan of AC.

Diane M. Roth said...

what? you don't like AC???

Jan said...

I am dismayed at some of the books that get published. And then I hear how hard it is to get something published. . . .???

Wormwood's Doxy said...

Here's my book on dieting: Eat Less. Exercise more. Do not snack between meals. Have fewer pieces of chocolate cake. The End.

Word.

I will not be reading The Purpose Driven Life or anything that describes liberals as traitors. Of course, I have a feeling that publishers are going to find those titles less appealing for a while...

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Ooh, Doxy stole my answer. But I forgive her anyway.

Rev SS said...

Eat less, diet more! Yep, pretty much says it. Like so many other things ... easy to know, harder to do.

Terri said...

Oh gosh...I have no idea what I'm not going to read....and even less idea what I am...right now I am only capable of reading little bitty things...like a poem...but an entire book - nope - not in me!

Fran said...

I am not reading The Purpose Driven Life.

I am not reading any romance novels.

I barely have time to read what I must for school, what I want for pleasure and blogs, so no time for books like that!

Or like the ones you mentioned!!