Friday, September 7, 2007

Why I Deleted the Last Post

I still like the poem, Birthday Poem, by Erin Murphy, and I want more people to know both the poem and its author. My motives are pure. And I thought it might suffice, as it always did in school papers, to give the title of the source and publication year. But now, I'm not sure. I need to check on what is the correct way to credit sources on blogs, because I like sharing poetry, and others' reactions to it, and I want to do it right.

I will let you know and re-post the poem when I am able.

In the meantime, I'd like to direct you to the Poetry 180 website. This website was created for high school teachers and students, to bring more contemporary poetry into high schools. There is one poem a day for the 180 days of the typical school year. Billy Collins, former poet laureate, is the creator of the website and the project.

I didn't get my poem from the website, though. I got it from the second printed collection, called 180 More: Extraordinary Poems for Every Day. The project has been so popular there have been two printed collections of the poems for the year. The preface to the book has a wonderful explanation of an "accessible" versus an "inaccessible" poem, which gives some great initial tips for interpreting poetry, as well.

7 comments:

Fran said...

We have a word for someone like you in Yiddish(yes, I remember, I'm Catholic, bear with me, I've got Yid roots!)... You're a real mensch.

Of course it is meant to refer to a man, but it is all purpose really.

You are good. I like that.

I am good- not so much!

And a shout out to Scout!!

Diane M. Roth said...

franiam -- I think Scout is feeling a little better, but she hates the lampshade.
you might be surprised that I know the word mensch.
the suburb of minneapolis I grew up in had a large jewish population.
actually, Thomas Friedman went to my high school (but before me)

Terri said...

Oh, I appreciate that you are looking into this - I too would prefer to post appropriately.

Lori said...

Writers everywhere applaud your gracious responsiveness to propriety in posting!!!

And so glad that Scout is better.

LoieJ said...

Because I've been on an art group online, I've learned a lot by osmosis about copyright, etc. So you are to be commended. Many people think nothing of copying other people's hard work, such as patterns, chapters, etc. And, of course, the web makes that easier.

Apparently just publishing something makes it "copyrighted." But registering something with the government makes that easier to enforce.

I have a friend who brings a copy machine to retreats we attend. She wants people to copy articles and magazines that other bring. It is hard to know what to say because we are together for five days and I don't want to cause a stink. I try to say something in other venues to address that issue with these same people.

Fran said...

You know Diane, I am aware of that. My great friend Jill who is my downstate(versus my upstate home... oh to live in just one place soon!)home next door neighbor is Jewish and from Minneapolis. I think she has even mentioned Freidman but I will have to ask her again.

Great! Anyway, good for you for the appropriate behavior.

And for beautiful Scout- MWAH big doggy kisses and love. That lampshade drives them nuts, but it is a must.

Rev SS said...

you be good ... and I'm glad Scout is on the mend.