Friday, September 14, 2007

A Passion Monologue

I need your help. I wrote 5 Monologues based on the Passion narrative in Mark a couple of years ago. They were called "Unnamed Witnesses to the Passion." I also wrote 6 Monologues based on the Passion story from John. I would like to get them published, but I don't have any ideas. If you do, please pass them along. As well, I'd like feedback. Here is one of the Unnamed Witnesses to the Passion:

The young man who ran away

One thing I remember is how dark it was that night, how really dark it was. It seemed like the night was a good place to hide while I was watching, the whole time watching from a little distance. I want you to know that I had been following Jesus for awhile before this. I wasn't just watching because I knew something bad was about to happen. I'm not one of those people who is just waiting for tragedies to happen so that I can watch. No -- I had been "hanging around" for awhile and listening to Jesus teach and watching him heal -- but it is safe to say that I wasn't one of the main disciples. I followed, but from a distance. That's me -- I like to follow, but from a distance. I don't want to get too close. I just had the feeling that there was something dangerous about Jesus -- and you know, I was right.

The thing I remember most about Jesus is that when I heard him preach, it always seemed like he was talking straight to me, like he knew me. He knew just what I was hoping for, and just what I was afraid of -- what made me hesitate. This is what drew me to him, but it's also what help me back. He made me feel vulnerable, exposed, like there was no place I could hide. I always followed at a distance, wanting to hear but not wanting to get too involved. So there I was, on the night he was betrayed, watching and listening just like I always did, except this time, somehow I ended up just a little too close to the action. I saw everything -- I saw the prayer he prayed and how everyone fell asleep. I saw how lonely he was, in the dark. I saw Judas coming toward him, and I saw the soldiers descending on him like he was going to fight back. I mean, the disciples weren't an army. There were a couple of fighters in the bunch, but mostly they were fishermen. I just seemed so incredible. They were treating him like he was a criminal. And then I felt a hand and I knew that I had gotten a little too close this time, and I ran away. Just like all the others. My heart was beating wildly, I was so scared -- scared of being caught, but also scared of being so close, so close to the action. And I ran away so fast that it didn't even matter to me that I lost my clothes. I was naked -- running away in the dark -- running for my life.

Jesus was dangerous -- everyone was right about that. In fact, He still is. I almost died that night -- me, who doesn't like to get involved. I'm the one who likes to play it safe. And there I was, in the middle of things before I knew it. And there I was, vulnerable and exposed, just what I didn't want to be -- ever. That's the way it is with Jesus. He doesn't allow you to sit on the sidelines. Before you know it, you are right in the middle of something. Anyway, that's the way it has been for me -- ever since that night. Ever since I stopped running away. Ever since I started following him.

Oh, I feel like running away sometimes, still. Life isn't easy, you know. But it's useless. I can't help it. I start listening again, and it seems like he is talking to me, and he knows all my hopes and all my fears, and my heart is beating wildly again. just like that night. That's how I know he's dangerous. And that's how I know he's alive -- and so am I.

16 comments:

Fran said...

I've read it through once and I am deeply moved Diane. I am going to re-read later and send you some clearer feedback.

This I can say now...

You have something here. Something really good.

Diane M. Roth said...

I appreciate your comment, Fran.

Jennifer said...

Dear Diane,
The monologue you've posted is very, very beautiful and so moving.

Have you thought about Westminster John Knox Press?

Diane M. Roth said...

No... I don't know very much about them. I will find out more, so see about sending these in.

June Butler said...

it always seemed like he was talking straight to me

I loved that. This is fine writing, Diane.

Sorry, I have no ideas about how to get them published. I hope you find a way.

St. Casserole said...

I can't help with ideas about publishers but am glad to read this.

Law+Gospel said...

Great stuff! I recently saw that an LTSP seminarian published his petry with "lulu press." They ahve a website. If you track through my old posts you can find the link- the poem is by Kurt Lammi.

Diane M. Roth said...

okay, now I'm going to look up lulu press, too.

Fran said...

Diane- after having reread this a few times, I continue to be moved. That is kind of my barometer for writing of this sort.

I think this will be soul stirring for many. I'd love to see/read whatever else you have. I can see printing it out and praying with it.

As for publishing I have not a clue! Seems like some do. However, I will send prayers that the path will become illuminated for you.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this, and I think you should definitely try to get the series published. I know there's a "Christian" version of Writer's Market but I haven't used it, so I don't know how good it is.

David said...

Very good....I wish I could help you with the publishing but it seems others have. Hurry so we can buy a copy and read the rest.

Carol Howard Merritt said...

I like it, Diane. And I'm sure there's a market for things like this. Christian Fiction keep growing and growing... Although, I'm not sure exactly where to direct you.

I'll keep my ears open though. Happy writing!

AUSTINSTILL said...

WOW. I'M MOVED AND I WOULD ACTUALLY LIKE TO PERFORM THIS AT THIS YEAR'S CALIFORNIA STATE THESPIAN FESTIVAL. LET ME KNOW IF THATS OKAY WITH YOU. PLEASE, THANK YOU, & GOD BLESS.

AUSTINSTILL said...

WOW. I AM MOVED. I WOULD ACTUALLY LIKE TO PERFOR THIS AT THIS YEAR'S CALIFORNIA STATE THESPIAN FESTIVAL. LET ME KNOW IF THATS OKAY WITH YOU. PLEASE, THANK YOU, & GOD BLESS.

Diane M. Roth said...

dear Austin, please email me for permission to use this piece. I would give permission provided that you give attribution and also send me something that shows that you used the piece and attributed it.

Thank you

Diane M. Roth said...

dear Austin, please email me for permission to use this piece. I would give permission provided that you give attribution and also send me something that shows that you used the piece and attributed it.

Thank you