Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Wedding and everything

It was windy and raining at 12:00 noon yesterday, as I was finishing up with a couple and preparing to officiate at a wedding at 3:30. The wedding was scheduled to be outdoors. uh-oh. It wasn't raining hard, but it was kind of a sideways rain. I prayed on the way over in the car. I knew they had a contingency plan for indoors, but that they REALLY didn't want to do that.

And the rain cleared out. Just in time.

The wind, however, did not let up. So the unity candle did not stay lit, and the butterflies they had wanted to release at the end of the service -- pretty much kept their wings folded. But the wedding was located in a beautiful area, a secluded bluff surrounded by trees.

After the wedding and the reception (chicken or steak), we went home to take care of the dog. I tried to tweak my sermon until a little too late into the night.

In the middle of the night, there was a terrific thunderstorm. The skies just broke open and loose. This morning as I walked Scout, a little earlier than usual, it seemed eerily calm and quiet. The calm after the storm, I suppose.

I knew that on the agenda this morning were three services at which I would preach, and a crammed 10:00 service with the Blessing of Three-year-olds and a Baptism. (This service I would preach and preside while the Senior Pastor led an adult forum.)

And when we came indoors, I noticed that Scout was acting strangely. She was hiding behind furniture again. She has another small "hot spot" developing. We put the "headgear" back on and gave her antibiotic spray, and will call the vet in the morning.

In the meantime, I'm a little worried that she is stressed because I have been so busy lately. I know I am stressed. Individually I love every single thing I am doing. (well almost everything). But all together they seem just a little too ... heavy.

Balance. That is my dream.

11 comments:

more cows than people said...

dreaming with you, of balance.

had a windy wedding at which flames did not stay lit last week- and the rain cleared off just in time then too!

hope scout and diane are both balanced and well soon.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

oh diane...our animal friends do let us know when our lives our out of whack... (not that i'm calling you whacky mind you)

about 3 1/2 days and my quest for light at the end of the tunnel and emerging balance...

hang in there. hang with scout & your hub...

Terri said...

One of my dogs had something like this for several years. It seems something stressed her out and then the hot spots would recur once or twice a year. However she has not had any in the last two years. Odd, eh? The best diagnosis the vet could give me was "seasonal allergy."

I hope this spot doesn't really turn into anything, and that she will be fine. sigh.

((Scout)) and ((diane)) holding you in prayer.

Keep walking her, that might help reduce what ever stress she is experiencing. It usually works for my dogs. (oh, and it will help your stress too!.

DogBlogger said...

Praying it starts to calm down a little for your household...

Law+Gospel said...

Hang in there. And you are right about our animal companions knowing. And I know I have come home from school and been really preoccupied only to look down and see beagle eyes wondering when it is his turn. May peace come your way.

RevDrKate said...

With you all the way. The sum of the whole is much more overwhelming than it's parts sometimes! Prayers that you find your balance and for Scout too!

lauraj said...

A wise woman said to me (when I was a 20-something seminarian social activist type) that the most radical thing I could do in this time was to model balance in a world out of balance. 20 years later: still working on it!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it was just the storm that made Scout nervous...hope she gets better soon, and that you find some time to rest.

Unknown said...

I hear you pain. Balance is definately the key.

Unknown said...

Poor Scout! It's hard to break the cycle some times. I am hopeful that our Benadryl season with Sam will soon be over, and that we will avert the hot spots. Hope Scout feels better soon!

Lindy said...

Health and calm to you and Scout.

Lindy liked your sermon quite a lot, btw. I thought you should have mentioned the DOG!

Love,

Rowan