Thursday, September 27, 2007

Friday Five: The End


Today is Reverend Mother's last Friday Five. She writes:
Well friends, as I prepare for the birth of Bonus Baby, it's time to simplify life, step back from the Friday Five, and let one of the other capable and creative RevGals take the helm. It's been a great almost 17 months of co-hosting the F5, but it's time to say goodbye... so here's my swan song.

On Endings and Goodbyes:

1. Best ending of a movie/book/TV show
I love the ending of Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window, when he resolves all of the little stories in all of the windows that Jimmy Stewart has been watching. Also, in literature, at the end of A Tale of Two Cities, "It is a far far better thing that I do than I have ever done before. It is a far far better place that I go to..." (Sidney Carton). (As read by Ronald Coleman)

2. Worst ending of a movie/book/TV show
Alfred Hitchcock's North by Northwest. Great movie, terrible ending. Cary Grant is dangling Eva Marie Saint from a cliff, and suddenly, they're on a train, on their honeymoon! And then the movie is over!

3. Tell about a memorable goodbye you've experienced.
As I was leaving Kumamoto, Japan, where I taught English, the boys from my 9th grade English class came to the train and gave me a present: a "hakata ningyo" (delicate ceramic doll). She looked like she was praying. This had been a challenging class, and it was a moment of grace as one of the boys stepped up to the train platform and presented me with the doll.

4. Is it true that "all good things must come to an end"?
Yes. Except eternal life. The exception that proves the rule.

5. "Everything I ever let go of has claw marks on it." --Anne Lamott Discuss.
Reminds me of another goodbye: when my sister got married. Growing up we mostly shared a room. We fought a lot, but also talked to each other until we fell asleep at night. We also shared an apartment for a short time when she was in college. So, at 20, she got married and moved to Arizona with her husband the next week. We drove down to Rochester to see them off. I cried most of the way home in the car. Claw marks.

Bonus: "It isn't over until the fat lady sings." I've never loved this expression. So propose an alternative: "It isn't over until ____________________"
The little Renault dies. Then it's really over. And yes, there is a story behind this.

Great Swan song, Reverend Mother!

16 comments:

Sally said...

how great to have such a relationship with your sister, well played.... never been a fan of Hitchcock too much of a wimp!

Cathy said...

Well played, and I hadn't thought about Rear Window!!!

I also notice you are reading Three Cups of Tea -- I want to read that book!

Fran said...

Wow... you have such great writing skills Diane. The words here and how you have presented them, makes me really stop and think.

And Anne Lamott... you can always get me with my idol Anne!

Thanks for this. Beautiful.

DogBlogger said...

Good play, Diane!

Terri said...

The doll, that is a fabulous ending...and your references to Hitchcock proves that your memory is way better than mine!

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Those 9th grade boys...what a cool thing to do. You had to have touched their lives in a very special way.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

Cary Grant... who wouldn't want to run off on a honeymoon with him? but then I'm off the wrong era... I'd have to be wearing pearls, hoisery and have like a 16 inch waist... so we'll laugh and leave it at that.

love alfred's films!

Jan said...

I'd forgotten about "Rear Window"--you're right! I really am touched by your "goodbye stories." Thanks. I lived in Japan in junior high, so I really like the story of them presenting you with the doll.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful.
Loved reading every word.
Thanks.

leah said...

Beautiful, Diane. Are you going to post the story behind your bonus?

Anonymous said...

Neat story in #3. And now, you'll have to post the Renault story!

Barbara B. said...

I agree with you about "North by Northwest"... but I'll overlook any flaw in a movie with Cary Grant in it. :)

RevDrKate said...

OK now you must share the Renault story...your fans are waiting!

Anonymous said...

In my life, I've never had a good goodby.

In the movies, the best goodbye I've seen is Charlie Chaplin's character's farewell performance in Limelight.

David said...

Wow, a Hitchcock fan. You don't run into one of those evey day!

Diane M. Roth said...

yep, we're fans. especially the old stuff.