Saturday, September 1, 2007

A Poem by Mary Oliver

Praying

It doesn't have to be
the blue iris, it could be
weeds in a vacant lot, or a few
small stones; just
pay attention, then patch

a few words together and don't try
to make them elaborate, this isn't
a contest but the doorway

into thanks, and a silence in which
another voice may speak.

from "Thirst", Beacon Press, 2006

This poem seems humble and gracious to me.

We will be traveling up to younger stepson's college tomorrow and overnight, so probably won't get a chance to post my sermon until later.

In the meantime, prayers and blessings to all.

12 comments:

Yolanda said...

Such a lovely poem . I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Barbara B. said...

wow; I like that poem a lot... hope you have (had) a nice time

Gannet Girl said...

Have a great trip and thanks for the poem!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

mmmm yes i like it too... reminds me of sermons... patch it together; don't worry about being elaborate... just be the doorway...

Unknown said...

I love this poem. I gave my copy of the book away; need to get another!

Rev SS said...

Thanks. I love this ... concise, rich, and right on! Have a great visit.

Jan said...

Thank you for this beautiful poem. I think it will be perfect for the Wisdom Class' first meeting )after a month off) on Tuesday! I hope you have a wonderful time!

Fran said...

Oh how lovely and much needed. I love Mary Oliver, so nice to find her here when I come to visit you.

Diane M. Roth said...

I'm glad you all liked this little poem. There's also a longer one I'd like to share, but first I have to study indenting, and I haven't had any time to study new blog techniques. Enjoy !

Unknown said...

I liked this poem too. Safe trip for you.

Law+Gospel said...

What a great poem. Blessings to you and your family.

Marsha said...

Terrific poem. Mary Oliver is a recent discovery for me but I do like her.

Hope you enjoyed your weekend.