Saturday, September 8, 2007

About Cats


This post is dedicated to Barb, cat lover and one of my first blog friends.

I've been looking through old journals, photo albums and miscellaneous lately, uprooting and disturbing dust, and I came across a little poem I can't believe I wrote a long time ago.


though the cat is by nature
the most graceful of beasts
there comes a rare moment
she's not light on her feet
when she falls in the toilet
leaps and misses the chair
miscalculates distance
as she flies through the air
I don't laugh out loudly
I pretend not to see
it's just a little secret
between the cat and me.

The picture is an old one of my cat, Kiki, who died two years ago, at the age of 18.

11 comments:

Barbara B. said...

Well, how cool is this?! THANKS! That is a wonderful poem! Made me smile! And great picture too. :)

Lori said...

That is such a good poem! LOL.

I looooovvve Siamese cats. When I was little we had a seal point named Princess. Later we had a teeny, fiesty seal point named Sam. Though I think now they call it "chocolate point" now.

Kiki was just gorgeous. And smarter than the dickens too, I'll wager.

Terri said...

Ok, I miss reading your blog for ONE day and there are three fabulous, witty, poetic, and loving posts.

Loved your answers to the interview question. And, this poem is wonderful.

Also, prayers continue for Scout. So tough, that head gear stuff...I hope she continues to heal and feel better.

Law+Gospel said...

I'm with mompriest, after a bust week, just catching up on my reading. Praying for Scout, loved the poem and the interview responses and I do not get the Google spider remark.

Law+Gospel said...

Sorry I meant to say a busy week, not bust.

Lindy said...

This is a wonderful, wonderful, poem! I love having a look into the world of cats and their owners and the delightful "little secrets" you keep.
BRAVA!
Lindy

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

you're a poet and you know it! glad to hear Scout's on the mend... are you? cuz this sounds pretty stressful on you...

June Butler said...

Diane, I absolutely love your poem. Thanks for posting it and bringing a smile to my face.

Jan said...

What a perfect poem! That describes a cat so well. Thank you.

Lori said...

Law and Gospel:
I learned from another blogger that Googlel sends out what they call "spiders" to crawl around blogs for bloggers original pictures to capture and put on Google Images. They will also use your titles of the pictures for reference.

Rev SS said...

Oh, this mom to 4 cats loves this poem. (I have been owned by cats for all my adult life, and have so many stories .. and you captured most of them in this poem)

As Hot Cup said ... you're a poet and you know it!

Thanks.