Monday, September 10, 2018

Sermon: "Faith and Works"

James 2:1-18 

            May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, our rock and our redeemer.  Amen

            I had my fifteen minutes of fame a number of years ago when I was in a church production of “My Fair Lady.”  
             I still remember with affection that I got to play the leading lady – Eliza Doolittle – transformed from cockney flower girl to a real Lady.            But when I read James this week, I couldn’t help thinking of one particular song that Eliza sings, never the end of the play.  
            She sings to a young man who is professing his undying love for her.   
            While he goes on and on about his undying affection, she finally interrupts him, saying, “Words! I’m so sick of words! ‘  If you’re in love – show me!”  

            Show me – that’s what James is saying to us in this application of practical Christianity this week
            And what he wants us to show – is our faith.  In the last verse we read today he say, “Okay, you say I have faith and you have works. 
            Show me your faith apart from your works   -- and I by my works – will show you my faith.   

            James is throwing down the gauntlet here!  
            He’s making a challenge – show me your faith – and I’ll show you mine!  But just who is he challenging?  
            At first, it might seem to be none other than the apostle Paul.  
            After all, isn’t he the one who said, we are saved by grace through faith?  
            Paul is adamant that our works don’t get us anywhere with God.               It’s only faith that saves us.  But James begs to differ – or at least it seems that way.  

            But I don’t think James has an argument with Paul – not really.      The real question is – what is faith?  
            What do you think when you hear the word ‘faith’?  
            Do you think of  a “statement of faith”, like the Apostles Creed – and that saying “I agree with that” – that’s faith?  
            Faith is agreeing with a set of doctrines – perhaps --  but to both Paul and James it’s more than that.  Faith is trust.  
            Or to put it another way, we don’t just have faith in the doctrines, but faith a person, faith in Jesus, faith in God.  
            And when we say Trust – there’s action involved in that.  If we trust someone, we – just naturally – act on that trust.  
            Like Abraham, in the Old Testament. When God told him to “go to the country I will show you,” he went. He trusted God, and so he followed.

            But James is, in particular, I think, speaking of acts of mercy.  Works of mercy to others.   
            He begins by talking about the divisions we make – partiality to some, against others.   
            In his church – or synagogue, he has seen people be deferential to those who are rich, and dismiss those who are poor.  
            He warns against this – after all, he says – can’t we learn better how to trust God from those who are poor and who have to rely on God’s goodness more than others? 
             It’s also tempting to pay more attention to the people who we think can help us in our lives, and pay less attention to those we might think are less useful.   (whether rich or poor – or young or old – friend or stranger)
            But practical as that might be in life “in the world” – James doesn’t want us to do that.  
            No – there’s something else at stake for him here.  And it’s not about doing “good works” to prove to God how good you are – and it’s not even about doing “good works” to prove to JAMES how good you are.  
            It’s about something else entirely.   It’s about mercy.  It’s about the mercy shown to us in Jesus – and how did it become real to US?          Someone – somewhere – probably SHOWED us.  Someone – somewhere – probably forgave us.  Someone – somewhere – made the gospel real to us.  

            The example that James uses is a person who is naked or hungry.  If you see that person, and just say, “Bless you.  Be warm and fed”, but don’t DO anything, what good is it?  
            The cold and hungry person, the sick and lonely person – needs more than that.  
            They need the gospel in more than just words.  

            Martin Luther said it best.  He said. “God doesn’t need your good works. But your neighbor does.”   
            That’s what James is trying to say as well.   
            When we make our faith visible in works – then our neighbor experiences the grace of God – through us.  
            And by the way – we don’t get to choose our neighbors – they are given to us by God – God shows us – the ones he wants us to reach out to, share with, listen to.
            
            There was once a volunteer youth worker named Daryl.  
            He had just started volunteering, and it ended up that one of his jobs was to go to the nursing home with the youth group, when they did a church service once a month..  
            So he went, although he had his misgivings.  
            He didn’t really know what to do.  
            He was leaning against a wall, between two wheelchairs, when suddenly someone took his hand. 
            He looked, and it was an old man, in a wheelchair, who had reached up to grab his hand.  Daryl didn’t let go, as the youth did their nursing home service.  
            The man didn’t say anything.  At the end, for some reason, he didn’t want to let go.  
            He leaned over and said, “I’m sorry.  I have to go now, but I’ll be back next month.”  
            Then he found himself saying, ‘I love you.”

            Every month it was the same.  
            He stood by the old man, and he held his hand.  He found out that the old man’s name was Oliver.  So, when he had to leave, he leaned over and said, “I’m sorry, Oliver. I have to leave now.  I’ll be back next month.”  And then “I love you.”  

            Until one month the youth group came to the nursing home and Daryl didn’t see Oliver.  
            At first he wasn’t worried, but after awhile, he decided to go and search for him.  
            When he found Daryl’s room, he could tell his friend was dying.  He went into the room, and took Oliver’s hand.  
            There was no response. Daryl stood there for a long time. But then it was time for the group to leave.  
            Daryl said, “I’m sorry, Oliver, I have to go.  I love you.” Oliver squeezed his hand!  

            On the way out of the room Daryl met a young woman.  It was Oliver’s granddaughter.  
            She said, “I’ve been waiting to meet you.  My grandfather is dying you know.  

            She told Daryl that she was very close to her grandfather.  He had said something puzzling to her.  
            He said, “Can you say goodbye to Jesus for me?”  
            She couldn’t understand what he meant.  “Grandpa, what do you mean?  He’ll be the next person you’ll see!’

            Then her grandfather closed his eyes, smiled, and said, “you don’t understand.  Jesus comes to see me every month, and he might not know I’ve gone.” *story from Mike Yaconelli’s book, Messy Spirituality

            It’s true.  You also could be mistaken for Jesus some day. You might be the only Jesus someone ever meets.  Feed them. Give them shelter.  Hold their hand.  Show them.

            Show them the faith God has planted in you.  Show them that the grace God has given you – is for THEM, too.  

            You don’t have to prove anything -- to God.  God loves you already abundantly and unconditionally.  
            As for your neighbor -- Show them.

            Amen

No comments: