Thursday, July 9, 2009

We're In New York....

Well, actually, we're staying with friends in a charming town not far away, in New Jersey. It is really a lovely place, and these friends are about the most gracious people in the whole world. This town is home to a prestigious college and seminary; they live about two blocks away from the train station, which takes us into Penn.

Yesterday we went to Ellis Island. More about that later. We were to meet friends later in the evening in Greenwich Village. He was playing in a band. We were so tired after Ellis Island that we went home and I fell asleep. I could not get myself back in gear to go back into the City. I feel very badly about that. I called our friends and told them we wouldn't be able to meet them. I feel old just now. It takes a few days to get used to living by train schedules, and we never have more than a few days.

Our digital camera is broken. I feel badly about that too. Does anyone know if they can be fixed, or if the camera stores tell you just to "buy another one"? (we did get pictures of Ellis Island.)

We are getting a late start today. Will go in to the City soon, hope to see a show tonight. I'm trying to remain flexible, although we are currently hoping (as many know) to see The 39 Steps. We'll see.

Don't know about tomorrow or Saturday yet.

9 comments:

LoieJ said...

I may have stayed in that town in NJ several times, gone to the same train station, etc. Daughter and Son-in-law went to Sem in NJ. Only went once to NY, which was enough for me.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

oh the unexpected things that occur on vacay... hope things look up!

Lori said...

New York is daunting to energy levels of all ages. I found short naps to be helpful.

Best wishes for the rest of your visit to be very fun!

Fran said...

How close yet so far! I was just walking Gracie and thinking of you.

Jennifer said...

I think you're in the town in which I went to seminary. I hope you are having a wonderful trip.

Barbara B. said...

Hope you get to see The 39 Steps! And if so, post a review! :)

Jan said...

So glad you're having fun!

Lindy said...

I hope you have a great time!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I hope the weekend is proving to be fun.