Thursday, July 2, 2009

Having a Wonderful time; Wish You Were Here

So far, we have a great little room just north of Two Harbors, right on Lake Superior. Our room, as you can see, overlooks the outdoor pool and the woods (the rooms that overlook the Lake are significantly more expensive.)

I haven't been blogging, but I have been:

1. Eating breakfast at Betty's Pies;
2. Working on the shawl I started two winters ago;
3. Writing some unrhymed iambic pentameter (first exercise from Stephen Fry's book The Ode Less Travelled); (more on that later)
4. Hiking around Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock Lighthouse (we're about to embark on another hike even now as I type); (and more on that later, too!)
5. Reading Maisie Dobbs; she has become my new obsession! I am pleased to discover that ther are five more books! As my husband would say: "oh-uh".
6. Writing down snatches of dialogue, words I like, etc.

None of my couplets are "good"; I'm trying hard, via Stephen Fry's suggestion, not to try to be "good", but just to get the feel of the rhythm of the iamb:

For example:
The menu here is said to be so bland

A messy desk -- a more creative mind
four pencils, colored pens and books galore
erasers, scribbles, post-it notes and ink
A messy desk -- a coffee cup unfilled.

And this is a messy blog post! We're off

oh, and by the way, I think that Miss Rumphius has been here.

More on THAT later, too....

5 comments:

LoieJ said...

Oh yes, I know the Miss Rumphius reference!

altar ego said...

Love all that you are doing with your time away. It inspires! And "way to go!" on the iamb--the effort alone is worthy of praise, and you're capturing pieces of you/your day/your experience along the way. Treasures, I think...

DogBlogger said...

So sorry I haven't had time to keep up lately! Love the two pics of Scout, and glad you're having fun!

Law+Gospel said...

Sounds like a wonderful time away- feeding you on many levels!

Lindy said...

I think you're brave to try the iambic thing. Go, go, go... I think you're great. Have a fun time.