Monday, December 1, 2008

Psst! It's not about the shoes....

I started blogging in April of 2007, just about the same time I turned 50 (give or take a couple of days). I started blogging for a variety of reasons: I wanted to write; I wanted people to read what I write; I heard it was an emerging technology; my stepson blogged; I read the article in the Christian Century.

I thought blogging was about writing, about getting my message out there, about not hiding my light under a bushel.

Turns out I was only about 1/2 right, maybe a little less than that.

In the course of the last almost-two years, I've connected with people from a lot of places: Texas, New York, South Dakota, Corpus Christi and Austin, Texas, Washington, Lousiana, Jackson, Minnesota -- New Mexico, Nebraska. Unlike Hank Snow, I haven't been everywhere, but I feel like I've been more places than I could have imagined, because of you, my dear bloggy friends. I feel that my life, my faith, my perspectives have become enlarged and enriched by the conversations and exchanges that have gone on here.

I've even gotten to meet a few of my blogging friends, starting with RevDrKate of Prairie Light. I now count Jan, Fran, HotCup, Pastor Eric, Auntie Knickers, and Jodi among my friends, as well as quite a few Revgals I met in Minneapolis last May (for example, Singing Owl and Juniper).

Last Friday I got to meet my friend Jennifer from An Orientation of Heart. Turns out she serves a congregation about five minutes away from some of my relatives. We got together over coffee at a local (and quite busy) coffee shop. It was delightful meeting her, and sharing some ministry and music stories (turns out her children are quite musical; so is my husband), dog stories (Scout has an open invitation to visit) and just-plain-life stories.

I would never have guessed that the communion of saints could be glimpsed through a computer screen, shared with coffee, and verified with a picture of shoes.

But it can.

13 comments:

Barbara B. said...

Very cool! Hopefully someday we will meet up!

Lori said...

Ditto and Ditto!

Nice shoes! And very nice to know you too.

LoieJ said...

I used to hear about people "meeting on the 'net" and didn't get it, but blogging makes all the difference. I want to meet you and also Owl, as she is near to my mom's house.

Rev SS said...

Ditto BB & PG ... sure wish I met you on bloggosphere when I was still just a couple hours from you in MI! Dream of meeting both of you one day too!

Jan said...

This warmed my heart! Meeting you was one of the highlights of the year! I almost mentioned you in our Christmas letter, but had to cut out some of the stuff and unfortunately you were on of those deleted pieces to make more room (so it would fit on the page).

I started blogging a month after you--so glad we met!

And I want to meet so many friends I've made through blogging. So far, I've met you and Serena in WA. Hope there will be more!

Jennifer said...

I'm still thinking about how fun it was to meet up at Starbucks!

I know it's not about the shoes, Diane. But I heart those lovely brown Naots of yours.

Fran said...

Meeting you has been a real gift of blogging for me. Meeting people never even entered my mind when I started, right around the same time you started.

And these words: "I would never have guessed that the communion of saints could be glimpsed through a computer screen, shared with coffee, and verified with a picture of shoes."

You are brilliant. I love that you put those words together to make that sentence.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I loved the same sentence that Fran pointed out. This was a lovely summary of blogging.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Yep, who woulda thought it? :-)

Billie Greenwood said...

Cool shoes!!

And what a wonderful gift it is to connect with like-minded, like-hearted people this way. I feel blessed to experience your sanctity through the computer screen!

Lindy said...

It IS pretty amazing. The internet really is like a strange new continent complete with people we can't really see and talking dogs. Even Chesterton, who had a pretty vivid imagination, would be amazed.

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog over the last year or so; there are so many different perspectives in the blogs I read, and I think that's the best part of blogging.

Pastor Eric said...

I too have enjoyed reading your blog even though I haven't been too active as of late. Like I said in a post this week, I never imagine I would develop so many relationships through blogging like I have. It's amazing.