Friday, July 6, 2007

Tonight


Tonight I am sitting in a darkened study, listening to my husband practice his guitar in the living room. Right now, I don't know which song he is playing. It is slow, a little romantic and sad, good for the dark.

Tonight Younger Stepson and two friends are downstairs, talking and watching videos. We are happy to have him back.


Tonight we bought planks of wood. He is going to build bookshelves in the basement. I almost said, "we", but that wouldn't be right. I don't think I will have much to do with it. I think it may turn out to be a father-son project, which would be great. I wonder if there is such a thing as a mother-dog project. (Oh yes, agility class.) (Also, digging in the dirt.)

Tonight it is quiet. We didn't have quite the kind of fun evening I was hoping for. But there was significant whooping earlier when the Twins beat the White Sox for the 2nd time in one day. It seems that in our house, a Twins win can bring a ray of sunshine into many a depressed and darkened soul. When the announcer said that Justin Morneau had tied three other Twins for the most home runs in one game (Bob Allison, Harmon Killebrew and Tony Oliva were the others), my husband got a little teary.

Tonight I am content. I have a sermon for Sunday. Almost. It is called "Tips for Travelers." It will not win the Pulitzer Prize, but perhaps it can be a rope let down for the lost. That is my hope.

Tomorrow I may fret and fiddle, visit more people in the hospital, worry about those I have not had time to visit yet, the long lists of people to visit, call, pray for, encourage to leadership. Tomorrow I will try in vain to organize tasks, believe what I wrote is not good enough, and also want to look out the window into the green summer day.

But tonight I sit typing in the dark. My husband has stopped practicing his sad romantic song. The dog has gone to bed. The son is quiet.

Good night.

15 comments:

Guitar Guy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barbara B. said...

Sounds like a nice, quiet evening at home.
(And might I add, "Go Twins!!!")

Gannet Girl said...

It's nice that you are thinking of your sermon as a poem.

Diane M. Roth said...

If anyone else comes back here, who thinks I got some sort of an ad from "guitar guy"? and maybe I should start using comment moderation?

Gannet Girl said...

It's just spam and yes, it explains comment moderation.

more cows than people said...

lovely. thank you and blessings on today.

Jan said...

I never knew spammers would check out blogs!

What a nice evening. It sounded like it was peaceful. How nice to have your sermon ready, too.

Maria Tafoya said...

As the blog owner you can always delete unwanted posts. That's what I do on the rare occasions I get anything spam-like. :-)

What a lovely meditation, Diane. So very in the moment. Thank you for sharing it.

RevDrKate said...

What a lovely post, a gift to be able to be amidst the joy of those things in the moment and know them good.

Terri said...

Sigh. I love nights like the one you had...glad you did.

Ben said...

Spammers will try anything, even leaving comments on blogs. It's odd though because most blogs have rel=nofollow attached to every outgoing link by default.

Anyway, I really enjoyed your post! This was my first time reading your blog and I'm subscribing :). God bless!

Lindy said...

A good piece of writing. My guardian liked it too.
Love,
Rowan

Pastor Eric said...

I have received one spam comment on my blog and it turned out to be something I was looking for, but I am not going to encourage them.

Thanks for the post. I enjoyed reading it.

DogBlogger said...

Nice post. It's a comfy read.

Katherine E. said...

This post was pure poetry for me, Diane. Thanks.