Thursday, November 8, 2007

The kitty



The truth is, we haven't seen the kitty for a long time. I kept hoping she would stick around. I didn't want to admit it, but I kind of wanted the problem of another mouth to feed, and another warm fuzzy creature to worry about. But she stopped hanging out in our garage and meowing not long after I wrote about her.

Either she was adoped by another family, or she got into some trouble. Of course, I hope it was the former. She seemed like a cat with some fine qualities, even though she was not interested in making friends with Scout.

It took a long time before Scout stopped peeking into the garage every time we walked by. I think she really wanted to have a little sister. Although I could be mistaken. She might have been merely interested in a little Snack.

As some of you know, I am a reformed cat person. I had a cat for eighteen years, and after a pretty wild and crazy kittenhood, she turned out to be the kind of cat who loved to sit in my lap while I would read a book. You have to love that in an animal.

Scout is not as big into reading, but she does keep me walking. For that I am grateful. She is much more time-consuming (read: high maintenance), but that means that I am much more attached to her than I ever thought I would be.

A family in my parish got a black lab last year. The mom said to me recently: I never thought that it was possible to love an animal this much.

Personally, I think loving an animal this much is good for us, if sometimes painful.

Even a little kitty who was only around for a couple of weeks.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to imagine not loving animals like that. And you're right, the high-maintenance ones soak up more of our love :)

zorra said...

Oh, yes.
Loving an animal that much is well worth the grief that it also involves.
I guess that's why we keep doing it, over and over again.

Lori said...

Yup and yup.

That cat sure has pretty fur.

Grendel said...

Hi, Diane.

I KNOw that the Kitty got founded by a Good Family. They Took her Home and Named her Biscuit Baby. She is O. Kay.

We have a Great Capacity to Love. Even me. Mom thinks I am Autistic because it is Hard for Me to Love, but I DO love her very much In My Own Way.

Barbara B. said...

what a cute kitty!

Di said...

Gorgeous cat. I was a very reluctant animal lover at first. Now, good grief. I'm ridiculous.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

They are a part of the family...companionship, love, fun, a few headaches, but when my cat crawls up on my lap and falls asleep...I melt.

DogBlogger said...

Totally there with you, even as we deal with some kind of liver disease with our dear Cub.

Diane M. Roth said...

prayers for you and for your dear Cub!