Saturday, June 26, 2010

Waiting for the Storm

I'm spending Saturday evening at home, watching television, reading, trying hard not to think about work (although an embryonic children's message is at the back of my mind.) I secured a supply preacher for this weekend, so for the first Saturday this month, I did not have the Saturday evening service. (It is also the first Saturday in three weeks that I have not had a funeral.

We went to breakfast at one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants, The Birchwood Cafe. It's not in our neighborhood, sadly; it's in the Seward neighborhood. But it has all the great appeal of an establishment which is firmly a part of its community, dedicated to serve the community. Then, people from outside the community want to stop in too.

I'd like our church to be a little like that. Firmly established in our community, but welcoming to others who are drawn to our mission.

We returned to a Used and Rare Book Sale we visited last night. I pined after books by Helen Sewell (the original illustrator of the "Little House" books.) Just so you know, first editions in dust jackets run to about $700 (or so). After purchasing a dear book illustrated by her called Ten Saints, I have been looking out for her illustrations everywhere.

Otherwise, it's been kind of a lazy day. I've been thinking that I need to make some Significant Blog Posts. There are so many weighty subjects lately. I'm thinking about the local pastor outed by Lavender magazine. I jotted down some notes. But tonight I'm sitting here, trying to be relaxed, and succeeding a little.

I just finished reading a book, The Underneath, by Kathy Appelt. It's supposed to be a children's book. In some ways it felt like a children's book; in other ways, not so much. It's about the love between a dog and two kittens. And it's about evil. Maybe that's what made it seem not like a children's book. But children, sad to say, often know a lot about evil.

Anyway, there's this great quotation on page 201: "Purring is not so different from praying.....a cat's purr is one of the purest of all prayers, for in it lies a whole mixture of gratitude and longing, the twin ingredients of every prayer."

Also, we're sitting here waiting for a storm to come through. A pretty heavy storm headed through our city last night. No tornadoes, but heavy rain, flash flooding, high winds. We were out for that one.

We thought we'd stay home for this one.

Tomorrow we'll put our hand to the plow and not look back, even though looking back can be so sweet. And to be truthful, sometimes the future seems so scary, full of uncertainty.

But the truth is, God is here, right now -- and God is in the future, in that kingdom we long for, when we pray.

Tomorrow we'll put our hand to the plow and not look back.

But tonight, we're just waiting for the storm to come through.

8 comments:

Elaine Dent said...

Well written/said. Thanks to you from another who had a lazy evening...no storms coming through.

1-4 Grace said...

Loved your quote from the book on the 11th Hour. Had to check it out further. Oh, I also posted it at my FB page.
I had earlier mentioned how one of my cats laid on my arm as I typed my sermon and purred.
The quote was a lovely addition!
Thanks

Rev SS said...

I think this is the post Rodger was referring to ... excellent thinking ... and articulation of those thoughts. Thanks.

Fran said...

You write so well - I feel like I am luxuriating in your words as I read them.

In a more human tone, I find that I am suffering some primal sins of envy and wanting my own copy of Ten Saints!! Which seems a bit hard to come by. Looks lovely.

Glad you had a nice day; hope the storms were not too bad.

Jan said...

Ditto to all above. Your writing skill evokes the images you type out. I liked the link to "Ten Saints"; the art looks lovely. I like your links, especially since I visited Minneapolis once.

Terri said...

I don't think mine were originals...but I do wish I had all my Little House books...I have a newer set that we got for our daughter...and, we've had those storms too - it's been a noisy wet summer thus far.

Diane M. Roth said...

Rev S.S. -- who's Rodger? just wondering...

and Fran -- yes, this book, though not awfully pricey, is a little hard to come by. I just ran into it, which is mostly the case for me. I've gotten a few from ebay, but mostly I just happen on a book when we're traveling. If I ever "run into" another copy of "Ten Saints" I'll keep it for you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.