Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Gratitude List

I saw this over at Mary Beth's a couple of days ago, and thought I should make one, too:

I am grateful for:

1. Hand-made things. My mother, freshly returned from the winter stay down south, gave me a hand-made lap quilt. She said, "I don't know whether you'll want this or not." She seemed to think it was a small thing, not important. But lately I've been thinking of all that goes into hand-made things, the time, the prayer, the materials, and thinking that they are often physical sermons, and reminders of the incarnation.

2. Co-conspirators seeking justice and radical grace and trust. I had lunch with two women yesterday who are just that: salad and soup never tasted better, as we envisioned what our community could look like with equal opportunity for education, health care and jobs, and with respect for one another's voices.

3. Family.

4. The smile of a good dog.

5. Forgiveness, whether expressed with a hand, a word, a kiss, or just by being there.

6. A good story.

6 comments:

CJWille said...

I still have a full size quilt my grandmother made me and realized that it is over 35 years old. My son sleeps with it and I told him that it is a hug from his Great Grandmother to him--for sweet dreams, love and comfort. He sleeps with it every night and when I tuck him in, I am reminded of the hours I spent threading needles for her when I was Matt's age. The gift she put into it of time, conversation, cookies, milk and of herself are really priceless.

It is not a "little thing", but a part of herself you can treasure.

Rev SS said...

Love this list. #1 reminds me how much was lost when the bed spread my grandmother knit or chrochetted for me was lost in one of my moves.

Lindy said...

I am glad to see you got us dogs in there. Tell Scout I said, "WooF, wOfF, WOOf, Bow-wow." She'll know what it means.

From your good friend,

Rowan

Barbara B. said...

Great list! (I treasure the hand-made things from my grandmother.)

LoieJ said...

A little gratitude journal helped me through a down time one year. I started by making a point of writing down one thing each day. Gradually I started seeing more to be thankful for, and eventually, I saw many things in a more positive light.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

you are a person with a grateful heart and a compassionate spirit... you probably make grace lists in your head all the time!