Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I'm Dreaming

As Christmas nears, I'd like to share this poem by J. Barrie Shepherd:

I'm dreaming
of a right Christmas
when every item that I buy
will be on sale and also
the ideal gift for persons
who have everything already.
I'm dreaming of a bright Christmas
when the tree lights work first time
and flash their brilliant message of success
from every tasteful, decorated, artificial,
non-allergenic yet natural lookalike limb.
I'm dreaming of a lite Christmas when,
no matter how much fruit cake, cookies,
eggnog, champagne, other goodies I consume,
my weight will magically fall to just below the average.
I'm dreaming of a write Christmas when all my cards
bear personal, intemately joyful greetings
and arrange themselves in matching multitudes
on every horizontal dust-free surface.
I'm dreaming, but I'll be what I get
will be the usual trite Christmas,
impolite Christmas, damp-with-fog-not-white
Christmas,
tight Christmas, goodnight Christmas,
bank-will-not-underwrite Christmas.
I'm praying that, despite Christmas,
I find myself midnight Christmas
able to invite Christmas and its newborn child
to stay and light a way into my Christmas-darkened
heart.

Copyright 1989 Christian Century Foundation. Reprinted by permission from the December 6, 1989 issue of the Christian Century. Subscriptions $49/yr. from P.O. Box 1941, Marion, OH 43306 (800) 208-4097

Reprinted by permission in "Faces at the Manger", by J. Barrie Shepherd, Copyright 1992, Upper Room Books.

8 comments:

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

mmm it could be easy to be bitter regarding christmas. i know finishing up shopping in nearby big town was a challenging exercise in patience...

good words to keep in mind tho as we face stepping into pulpits and conveying the message & hope that is christ...

steve said...

Love it. Especially the ending.

Jan said...

That's a new one for me. Thanks.

Barbara B. said...

I agree with steve--love the ending!

Lori said...

That's a good one. Thanks for sharing it.

David said...

This is a good one. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Annie's Mom said...

This is great! Thanks!

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

After reading the Tuesday lectionary sharings...dreaming seems to be a spiritual practice. Joseph dreamed...Abraham dreamed...Jacob dreamed...