Monday, June 6, 2011

Reading the Bible, Day 6: Exodus 16-28

Complaining.  Manna.  Water. 
Complaining. 
The Ten Commandments.
Many other commandments. 
The death penalty for cursing your parents! (did you notice?)
Instructions for the Tabernacle, for the ark of the covenant, for the priests and their garments.

As a pastor I was most interested in the scene where the lines are long every day with people who are looking for Moses, seeking his wisdom.  His father-in-law, Jethro, gives him some good advice:  Moses should find some leaders from every tribe to deal with the day to day issues that come up among the people.

Good leaders need to create more good leaders, then and now.

Note:  the version I am using for this reading project is The Message.  Sometimes I think it is helpful for the flow of the narrative, but today I was struck that I had to translate some of his language back into terms more familiar to me.  For example The Dwelling = the Tabernacle; the Chest of the Testimony = The Ark of the Covenant.

Tomorrow:  Exodus 29-40

How are you doing?

1 comment:

My Peace Of Food said...

I am waiting until you guys get to 1 Samuel, chapter 26, as I had just recently, coincidentally, begun my own Bible-reading project. I have to admit, I'm much more excited to get to the Psalms, and Proverbs, and oh yes, the Gospels...