So far, we have a great little room just north of Two Harbors, right on Lake Superior. Our room, as you can see, overlooks the outdoor pool and the woods (the rooms that overlook the Lake are significantly more expensive.)
I haven't been blogging, but I have been:
1. Eating breakfast at Betty's Pies;
2. Working on the shawl I started two winters ago;
3. Writing some unrhymed iambic pentameter (first exercise from Stephen Fry's book The Ode Less Travelled); (more on that later)
4. Hiking around Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock Lighthouse (we're about to embark on another hike even now as I type); (and more on that later, too!)
5. Reading Maisie Dobbs; she has become my new obsession! I am pleased to discover that ther are five more books! As my husband would say: "oh-uh".
6. Writing down snatches of dialogue, words I like, etc.
None of my couplets are "good"; I'm trying hard, via Stephen Fry's suggestion, not to try to be "good", but just to get the feel of the rhythm of the iamb:
The menu here is said to be so bland
A messy desk -- a more creative mind
four pencils, colored pens and books galore
erasers, scribbles, post-it notes and ink
A messy desk -- a coffee cup unfilled.
And this is a messy blog post! We're off
oh, and by the way, I think that Miss Rumphius has been here.
More on THAT later, too....