Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Give My Regards to Broadway

As I mentioned last week, when we were in New York, we hoped to see a Broadway Show. We stood in the TKTX line for an hour and a half last Thursday, and got tickets to our first choice: The Thirty-nine Steps.

This play faithfully follows the plot of the Hitchcock movie of 1935, but.... it's a comedy. And it's hilarious! There is broad physical comedy, there are lots of sly Hitchcock references, and there is great literary humor as well (example: the train stops are "Mansfield Park," "Brideshead," and "Brideshead Revisited.") Four actors play all the parts, sometimes switching roles with just the change of a hat. They use multiple broad, exaggerated accents, and the one negative is that if you don't know the plot of the original, you might not always be able to figure out what's going on.

We didn't stop laughing, and we enjoyed the opportunity to be at the historic Helen Hayes Theatre as well.

7 comments:

Terri said...

How delightfully fun!fun!fun!

LoieJ said...

Sounds like fun. I got to see the Phantom when we were there. I really didn't care what we saw, but my daughter insisted on Phantom because of learning the music in high school choir. We got third row seats!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

oh i've been to that theater too! love, love the art deco-ish poster for the play... sounds like a great time!

Diane M. Roth said...

PS -- I would love to see Phantom or Jersey Boys, for that matter, but everyone talked up this one, and I'm glad we did it.

HotCup -- I love the art deco too!

Diane M. Roth said...

oh, also was interested in Wicked.

Lori said...

What a great review. Now I want to see it. Hope it comes to L.A.

Barbara B. said...

I would love to see this one!