Thursday, April 16, 2009

You Say It's Your Birthday

.... well, actually, it is my birthday today. I'm 39 -- oh all right. I'm 52.

My husband took me out to breakfast this morning. I had Swedish Pancakes with Lingonberries (one of my favorite breakfasts that I don't make). I got a beautiful new bracelet and necklace, and a funny card.

Yesterday a member of the congregation came by with a small potted flower. Someone else sent a card with a gift certificate for a cup of coffee. I also got the book The Daily Coyote, which, for some inexplicable reason, I enjoy reading more than I'm enjoying The Shack. (And I am not meaning this as a slam on The Shack; I'm just not as drawn to it as I thought I would be.)

I went to a meeting and conversation this afternoon with john powell. It's hard to explain, except that we are trying to enter into deep relationships with one another across racial and economic lines. It's pretty hard, as it entails being honest with ourselves and one another. As I recall, the incarnation cost Jesus some, too.

Right now I'm taking a break from dishes, laundry, and other last minute clean-ups. Pretty soon we will be going to the visitation for my father-in-law.

15 comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Happy Birthday...the gifts sound quite delightful. Prayers continue...

Jan said...

Happy Birthday, dear friend. I haven't seen lingonberries for many years! Your breakfast sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lindy said...

I am glad you got to do something special this morning. I'm going to try lingonberries one of these days, just on your recommendation.

Prayers for you and your family continue

Your friend,

Lindy

Lori said...

Happy birthday to you!

ROBERTA said...

so glad you were born diane! celebrate your birthday all month - those of us who have passed the half century mark are allowed that honor!

Barbara B. said...

Happy Birthday, Diane!

Annie's Mom said...

I hope that it's a memorable and happy birthday!

Terri said...

Well I've said it several time already....but again, happy birthday (I'm 52 as well)...and prayers for you this day...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Paul said...

¡Feliz cumpleaños! And many happy returns. Glad you indulged to celebrate.

Now I will probably get the next attempt at least partly wrong, but it seems right to make the attempt.

Glad Födelsedagg.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Happy birthday plus one.

I love Swedish pancakes too . . . but I do make my own. It's one of only two recipes I have from my grandmother.

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

a comment on The Shack - i liked it at first but then found all the human explanation of God a little disturbing. I don't think we're supposed to understand it all just yet.

LoieJ said...

I've been "retreating" and now I'm catching up, blog friend. HBTY, HBTY, HBTY-oo, HBTY. Yes, I know I sent it early of Facebook, but I can't be responsible for the right day for all the blog friends.