Four days of being mostly in bed with a really bad case of flu (do not worry--I will give no detail) has me pondering the fragility of life. LOL! Death, however, has been cheated in my case and I am up and taking nourishment. In that vein of thought, do you have a "Bucket List"? In other words, from the movie of the same name, five things you want to see, do, accomplish, etc. before you kick the bucket?
1. travel more -- I've always wanted to go to Scandinavia, where my family is from (and I still do, actually), but since Paris last year, I would like to go back to Paris again. It was magic. Actually, let's just make this a three-month tour of all of the places I have wanted to see (Paris, London, Stockholm, Amsterdam, etc.) but never thought I would have the time/money/ability. Also, I would keep a travel diary.
2. actually take time out to write every day. a large chunk of time. See what comes out.
3. publish. My dream is to publish some of my reflections with illustrations by my sister. I would love to publish an "art book" of some kind.
4. Learn to play that expensive recorder that has been sitting by my bed for the last ten years or so.
5. simplify my life, get rid of the things I don't need, and learn to live with just the things that are important, ao that I have time to do the things that are most important: creating things instead of mostly consuming (making hand-made gifts, writing stories, growing vegetables to share.)
......and though it's supposed to be only five, I have one more thing in the back of my mind, a wild dream of mine: a dream that someday people would flock to hear me speak or preach -- about the wildness of grace, about the "hint half guessed, the gift half understood" -- the way that God is incarnate in the world, and in us -- in hidden, small and powerful ways.