Today we had blueberry pancakes (with special blueberry syrup), turkey sausage and fresh orange juice for breakfast (and, of course, as always -- coffee). It's my husband's birthday today (I won't say which one) -- and I have church meetings all evening, so I wanted to do something special this morning. It's also his first day back at school. He teaches guitar (both private lessons and class), and music technology at a private college. He also leads a contemporary worship group.
On J's birthday today, here are some things I want to share with the world:
1. He is an accomplished classical guitarist and composer. He also plays "finger-style" acoustic guitar. My favorite of his compositions is called "Crazy Horse." He writes a lot of music for congregations as well. He has written some pieces for a jazz liturgy, and many songs and hymns in jazz, gospel and calypso styles. One of my favorites is a setting of the beatitudes to the hymn tune "Picardy."
2. He makes a mean omelet, blt and reuben sandwich.
3. He's a really good dad, and his sons are both becoming men of integrity. They are both creative as well. Son #1 plays bass, writes and is a creative graphic designer. He is also interested in current events, and was a journalism major. Son #2 plays trumpet, guitar, and mandolin, throws pots, and is planning on physical therapy. He is interested as well in environmental issues.
4. He once wrote and illustrated, and got published a humor book drawing on elements of his Norwegian heritage.
5. He likes to vaccuum, and irons his own shirts.
6. He actually likes to shop for antiques, and go to bookstores.
7. He has been a Twins fan since they first arrived in Minnesota from Washington in 1960. He knew some of the Cuban Players who had apartments here in Minneapolis. He actually watched the world series with some of them in one of their apartments. His sister also interviewed members of the team for the school paper. He admits to losing interest by 1965 because of the Beatles! He did, eventually, come back around.
8. He likes biblical theology, and archeology.
9. He likes everything I cook.
10. He thinks I am beautiful, intelligent and a good preacher and writer.
Happy birthday, honey!