Friday, August 10, 2007
Friday Five: Stress Busting Edition
Sally over at the "Revgals" would like us to consider "stress". She's asking us 5 questions and a bonus about how we handle stress in our lives! I wasn't going to play, since I am far too stressed out, but here I am, sucked in on another Friday, while I am handling all the communion services, writing a sermon, prayers and a children's message, and covering as much pastoral care as possible. Stress?!
1. First, and before we start busting stress, what causes you the most stress, is it big things or the small stuff ?
For me, it can be either/or. Sometimes the busy-ness can be a real adrenaline rush, and then one more thing gets added, and that is the straw. Often times it's little stuff. Because when the BIG STUFF comes along, all of a sudden it becomes clear what is important and what is not. Stress is often a result of not being really sure what is most important.
2. Exercise or chocolate for stress busting ( or maybe something else) ?
Potato chips. Walking the dog is a type of exerise that I find very stress-busting. Also, it walks off some of the effects of the potato chips.
3.What is your favourite music to chill out to?
I'm a little prejudiced, but I think that classical guitar is perfect to relax to, especially if played by my husband (in a pinch, though, Christopher Parkening or Segovia will do.) I do still retain a fondness for romantic piano music as well, Chopin or Liszt.
4. Where do you go to chill?
To bookstores, to the library, or for a walk around the lake, one of the fringe benefits of living in my town... lots of beautiful lakes
5. Extrovert or introvert, do you relax at a party, or do you prefer a solitary walk?
Like Mompriest, I like a little of both. Sometimes a party is a good way to get me out of myself (when the stress is inner) and sometimes I need to get away from the noise of it all and think or write or walk.
Bonus- share your favourite stress busting tip!
Here are four bonus stress-busting tips!
1. Singing and playing the piano is very stress-busting for me! Make sure they are songs I can play! Sing at the top of my lungs!
2. Petting the dog, playing with the dog, brushing the dog, scratching the dog's ears, telling the dog what a fabulous, perfect, beautiful specimen of an animal she is (by the way, the picture above is a baby picture).
3. Laughing!!! tell me jokes, take me to a falling-down-on-the-floor slapstick comedy, read me a riotously funny story.
4. Word puzzles,crosswords, acrostics, anagrams.