Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday Five: Taking a Break

Songbird over at Revgalblogpals, writes:

Where we live, it's February School Vacation Week!Yes, that's an odd thing, a vacation extending President's Day. But it's part of our lives here. Some people go South or go skiing, but we always stay home and find more humble amusements.

In that spirit, I offer this Taking a Break Friday Five. Tell us how you would spend:

1. a 15 minute break
for 15 minutes, I'd probably pick up something to read: a chapter of a book, a magazine or newspaper article, or a crossword puzzle. Or perhaps a blog or two.

2. an afternoon off
depending on the weather, it would be off to an antique mall or used book store to window shop, or to a park or lake to walk the dog and check out the progress of whatever season we are in.

3. an unexpected free day
a day trip to a near-by small town, seeing what unique pleasures and sites they offer.

4. a week's vacation
that's easy: see family and experience warmness in the desert of Arizona. (In the summer, there would be more choices: the North Shore, New York, Santa Fe, or any number of places I haven't been before).

5. a sabbatical
a sabbatical would bring rest, travel and writing, in that order. I would love to spend time in Europe, touring art museums and historical sites. Then I would come home and write, write, write. Maybe I'd even start that book I've been dreaming about. How about: Scout: the adventures of a Dog. or: Prairie Pastor: memoir of a frontier woman of the cloth. Or: what should my book of reflections be called?

18 comments:

revkjarla said...

nice play. I love how in each of the times--whether short or longer, each of your answers sounds like nourishing retreat for your soul.

Unknown said...

I've enjoyed your memoir posts, write that book!

Unknown said...

Not that I don't love Scout, too.

DogBlogger said...

Hey, why not write both books?

RevDrKate said...

I really hope you get thst sabbatical...or find some way to write those books!

Deb said...

Meet you in Europe... :)

altar ego said...

We share some simple joys as well as some dreams. I join the chorus of voices encouraging you to write!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

"frontier woman of the cloth" conjures up bonnets and dresses made from flour sacks... hee hee

Barbara B. said...

Can I come along to Europe with you? Pleeeeeeeeease????

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

The Southwest...absolutely!

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

The Southwest...absolutely!

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

See you in Europe!

Magdalene6127 said...

I love the "writing on sabbatical" idea... so many ideas for writing, but never get to much beyond the sermon and the newsletter articles!

Well played!

Magdalene6127 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Auntie Knickers said...

I like the memoir idea having just been to lunch with my husband's memoir-writing group (mostly 20-30 years older than he!) but then, dog books usually sell better! So do both.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

What Songbird said! :-)

Jennifer said...

I loved all of your choices because they sound just like you!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Yes, I would love to take another writing sabbatical. (We did a month in Florida two years ago.) Next time (or at least in my dream life), it would either be in England or Paris.