Sunday, February 15, 2009

Books Seven, Eight and Nine

I have read three more books so far in February, and am working on a couple more (one of my problems: having more than one book going at a time). I read our church's February book, Little Heathens, which was named one of the 10 best books of 2008 by the New York Times. I won't say too much here, but I found the author's descriptions of life on an Iowa farm during the depression fascinating. She had an austere childhood, to say the least. But she found it, in many ways, exhilarating.

I also read the second Julia Spencer-Fleming mystery, A Fountain Filled With Blood. I love the way Rev Clare charges right in, and not just in terms of the mystery. I need to read more, and be more, like her. Maybe that's why I'm getting addicted.

Some one at the church lent me the delightful children's book, Why Kings and Queens Don't Wear Crowns. I read it twice. It's about Norway's national sport, skiing. In case you haven't guessed, if you're royalty, you can't wear your crown while you're skiing down a hill.

I'm currently working on the book: Arc of Justice, by Kevin Boyle. I'm only three chapters in, but I already highly recommend it. It's race relations, Detroit, murder, jazz, and more.

7 comments:

Barbara B. said...

Little Heathens sounds like it would be right up my alley!

Fran said...

I am so jealous.... then I look at the pile o' tomes regarding church history, the 15 page paper I must write along with a 2 page paper and the fact that I am on the blog.

No pleasure reading for me!

But how great for you Diane!!! I know that you really wanted to do this.

Jan said...

The books sound good. I read all Julia's mysteries when I had my knee surgery and loved them. If you have not read any Maisie Dobbs' mysteries, I urge you to find them. By Jacqueline Winspear.

Terri said...

I yearn for the time when I have enough brain space to actually read a book, and enjoy it....I do enjoy your reviews!

Auntie Knickers said...

Thanks for the reminder about Little Heathens, I remember the reviews and that I'd like to read it. I got to see/hear Julia S-F at our local library last fall (she lives not far from here) and she is delightful in person as well as on the page.

Rev SS said...

I'm with Mompriest. (How do you find the time?)

Diane M. Roth said...

Well, Rev SS, remember that I am shamelessly including children's picture books I read. That's one of my strategies, anyway.

We'll see how long I can keep it up.