Friday, October 29, 2010

Friiday Five: Comfort Media Edition


Kathrynzj over at Revgalblogpals offers us this Friday Five:

I don't get to watch that much tv anymore, but I actually wrote today's Oprah show down on my calendar. Why? Because she is hosting a Sound of Music cast reunion!!! Those of you who know me may be surprised that I would care so much about such a stereotypically girly flick, but I love it (although admittedly fast forward through the Reverend Mother's rendition of Climb Every Mountain). I can watch this movie over and over and over again.

It seems no matter how many new movies, tv shows or books come down the pike I still have my ol' stand by favorites that I can watch/read over and over and when I do they actually bring me comfort - like an old sweatshirt or a favorite food.

Today's Friday Five is an opportunity for you to list five of your favorite 'go-to' movies/tv shows/books. You can use images, links, explanations or netflix.
Gigi (Two-Disc Special Edition)

Strictly BallroomWhen I lived in rural South Dakota, I picked one movie that I would watch over and over in the winter, particularly when I was snowed in.  Three of these comforting movies that I watched over and over were:

1.  Gigi

2.  Strictly Ballroom (a great Australian movie, by the way)

3.  My Fair Lady.  In the interests of full disclosure, I need to let you know that I actually played Eliza in a church production of My Fair Lady, and used to put the Sound Track on while I was driving in the car and sing at the top of my lungs. 



My Fair Lady  
As I reflect on my choices for "comfort media", it seems to me that an "Ugly Duckling to Swan" theme seems to emerge.  This may explain as well my favorite of the Little House books:

These Happy Golden Years (Little House)
Finally, (though it is hard to choose), I have another favorite movie discovered in the last few years.  It's called The Major and the Minor, directed by Billy Wilder, and with two of my favorite actors:  Ray Milland and Ginger Rogers (why do I like Ray Milland so much?) 
The Major and the Minor (Universal Cinema Classics)

4 comments:

Jan said...

Fun! I've always loved "My Fair Lady."

Terri said...

OH!!! I forgot about My Fair Lady! I love that movie.

kathrynzj said...

Strictly Ballroom - GREAT movie.

Thanks for playing!

Teri said...

i love My Fair Lady, but my copy is VHS and I no longer have a VCR...I need to get a DVD copy because I miss singing along too. What a great musical.
I'll have to check out that last one--it sounds wonderful. Thanks!