Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sunday Observations: Before I Forget

We always have a time of silence during the prayers on Sunday, a time for people to consider their own prayer concerns, what is on their own hearts. I like to leave just a little more silence than is comfortable.

On Sunday, while praying, I thought: I don't like it to be too silent during the silence. I like to hear some rustling, a stray instrument, a child's cry. It helps me to remember what to pray for, and that there is life going on in our congregation.

We had a baptism at the ten o'clock service. The baby cried and cried while she was being baptzied (and why not? the water is cold; it's a rude awakening to a new identity as a child of God). Then when she faced the congregation again, she was suddenly all smiles. Some in the congregation laughed to see her play to the crowd already at 3 months.

The Kindergarten students completed a "Faith Milestone" on Saturday, and I had them stand up on Sunday and be recognized. But as soon as I said it, I realized that no one would see them from the pews, so I had them come out into the center aisle for a moment. Everyone clapped. Next fall, Kindergarten students will be able to help with worship, as greeters and ushers, and helping carry the baskets at communion.

During communion, a little girl stood in line with her mother. I could tell she wanted to ask me a question, so I bent down to hear her begin, "How old...." "5th grade," I answered her quietly.

Another little girl and her mother were first-time visitors this Sunday. She was so excited when she saw one particular adult: her Kindergarten teacher from her school!

You never know where you are going to make a connection with someone else in the body of Christ.

You never know how important it is for you to show up on a particular Sunday.

1 comment:

Terri said...

some very cool observations!