Friday, December 31, 2010

On the 5th Day of Christmas

We pretty much spent the day at Epcot.

We did not get up in time to get there early, so all of the lines for popular attractions were long.  We didn't ride in the big golf ball, or on the popular Norway ride, which boasts a 70 minute wait.  We have been to Epcot before, with the kids.  We even got in on a few of the Millenium activities ten years ago.  Epcot is my favorite part of Disney, I think.  Probably it's the brief, around the world tour, most of all.

I loved going back to Japan, if even for a few minutes, via a large department store.  Ten years ago we enjoyed the Japanese Taiko drummers, heard the Fab Four in England, and had Chinese food.  This year we heard Old Befana tell her Christmas story, ate Moroccan food, and heard Mariachi singers.  We walked and walked and walked, seeing the Norwegian Stave Church and the Eiffel Tower and the Seine.  We heard a man on a cell phone, saying, "We're going to Africa," and we laughed and laughed.

No, it's not like really going to another country, or countries.  Yes, it's really artificial, in many ways, and there is something unsettling about that.  No, it's not how I envision spending Christmas, though, to be honest, it is nice to get away from the cold for a few days.  But I love hearing all the different languages, and I love the music.  I think we are going back again.  Maybe we'll get on a couple of rides this time.

On the 5th Day of Christmas I heard many different languages.  I heard many languages all in the same place.  Some of them I recognized.  And though it was really a result of the triumph of capitalism, to me, it was a gift.

1 comment:

Lindy said...

YOU are a gift, and so is your blog. I'm glad you're having a good time, Diane.